- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened, or shortening
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose or unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Heat oven to 350F.
- In large bowl, beat brown sugar, margarine or shortening, and peanut butter until light and fluffy.
- Add syrup and egg yolk; beat well.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder; mix well.
- If necessary, refrigerate 15 to 30 minutes for easier handling.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With fork dipped in sugar, flatten balls in crisscross pattern.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Recipe yields 4 dozen cookies.