- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups whipping cream, chilled
- Sprinkle gelatin on water; let soften 5 minutes, then set cup in pan of hot water. Stir until gelatin dissolves.
- Add gelatin to beaten egg yolks; mix into maple syrup, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats spoon. Do not let mixture boil.
- Remove from heat, and stir in brown sugar, blending well.
- Transfer to a large bowl, and cool to room temperature.
- Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Whip cream only until stiff enough to hold its shape. With rubber spatula, fold cream gently into maple syrup mixture. Then fold in egg whites until whites no longer show.
- Spoon mousse mixture into a 1-1/2 quart mold that has been rinsed in cold water.
- Cover top with plastic and chill at least 4 hours or until firm.